Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mixed Metal Beads

Mixed Metal Beads
This is our 6th day at the Bah! Humbug Festival in Chico. We are doing well although not quite as good as last year. We expect to be economically
happy by the end of the show though.

It’s warmer and drier than usual which is nice for the show and our comfort but hopefully winter rains will start in the not too distant future.

As is my habit each year, after the weekend, I started going out each morning to the thrift stores around Chico to harvest books for my Caspar Bookster business and for my first book sale of 2012 in Caspar on January 22nd, at the Caspar Community Center’s 4th Sunday, country gourmet, fund raising breakfast. Check out more of my life with books at www.casparbookster.blogspot.com.

THE BEADS TO THE RIGHT ARE A SERIES THAT I CALL
BEAD N BEAD
I’ve been making mixed metal beads for about 12 years. This series, bead
N bead, started about 8 or 9 years ago and I’ve probably done maybe 30 of
them in that time. I like how you can look inside of them and see other textures and forms. I never have more then one at a time, the one at the upper left is my most recent and is in one of my cases at the Chico fair. Its about 3/4’s of an inch side to side. In the past, many of this series were significantly larger, the one at the bottom right was 1 1’8 inches side to side. Larger beads are just not selling at this time as overall taste preferences have shifted to smaller objects. Tastes in size, color, chain lengths etc go through changes, go through cycles, some of which I’ve observed several times in the 40 plus years I’ve been making and selling jewels. I’m not a slave to this phenomenon but have learned that paying attention to it and responding to it sometimes is helpful for my pocketbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment